MySQL 5.0.48 proof that the MySQL release cycle is completely broken.

When I received and email almost two years ago about a announcement that MySQL was going to release and enterprise product I was very excited. I was looking forward to a redhat style model of vetting releases in the community then offering a proven stable version to paying customers. I saw it as a great way to for MySQL to generate revenue as well as eliminate the need for people to stay a few releases back from the head and guess when to upgrade.

The release shocked me. What was originally emailed to me and the final plan were two very different things. It was a plan to hand paying customers bleeding edge code that had been tested only by MySQL’s QA team. It seems MySQL has forgotten the years of testing by millions of community members that has given MySQL the stability we have grown to trust. I predicted the instability of MySQL enterprise back in October ’06 by saying that releasing patches in enterprise that hadn’t been tested by the community would result in instable releases being delivered to paying customers. These should always be tested by the community first.

MySQL 5.0.48 enterprise is rock solid proof that the release cycle MySQL chose to implement is completely broken. It was released then pulled due to some very basic sorting functionality being broken. I hope they’re working to change the release cycle to more of a redhat model both to put trust back in the community for testing and to give enterprise customers the stable version they’re paying for.

7 Comments

1. JC says:

Agreed!

They need to take corrective measures now. Hopefully they see the light.

2. Arjen Lentz says:

I don’t believe it’s ignorance any more, because some people whom I’m very sure fully understand the community and development ecosystem are fully on board with it.
    I currently think the problem is simply fear. Fear that another approach will not bring the revenue and growth that MySQL Inc requires.
    And that’s sad, because in business terms, it may actually prove “good enough”; in technical, community and objective quality terms it sucks, as you’ve just pointed out. But since so much software out there sucks to the Nth degree… the bar, even for “enterprise level” software, is low. And thus the well trodden path is followed, rather than blazing a new trail. It’s very traditional, and very safe.
    It’s just not good from our perspective.

3. Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum says:

What did you expect? Mysql Company release what customers want:
    Most of the Mysql users and companies using Mysql that i know don’t want rock stable software. In contrary, they want new features, they want the features yesterday and they even pay for this features.
    So you can’t expect to have customers wait for some community releases …

4. texas guy says:

Amen brotha!

I’m looking forward to read about MySQL AB’s filing for bankruptcy!

5. Somebody says:

“Most of the Mysql users and companies using Mysql that i know don’t want rock stable software”.

I totally agreed. I WOULD LOVE to see ONE big multinational company that uses MySQL on a **REAL** critical environment like, for example, controlling hundred of thousands of credit card transactions.

MySQL is still a toy. A nice one, but only a toy for installing on blogs and forums. Really, on my years working as a IT consultant with some of the biggest european insurance, IT and economic companies i’ve really only seen one database, Oracle. And that’s a fact, not only my ‘perception’.

C’mon, MySQL doesn’t even supported views, referential integrity, triggers and stored procedures a couple of years ago …

6. texas guy and Somebody:
    1. bankruptcy? Sun, that’s all there’s to say.
    2. How about Google? Facebook? Digg?

MySQL may not have as many people as Oracle does and it is much younger (Oracle was started in late 70s while MySQL in late 90s), but it definitely has a lot to offer.

7. Somebody New says:

Stupid Oracle lovers! That’s gonna change with Falcon engine! European companies should question their IT *Experts* who sleep too much and don’t see the evolution, it’s easier for them to stay with what they know, and they are affraid to think about learning something new; all paradigms eventually fall!
    *REAL critical environments*???